Monday, February 4, 2008

Making promises

I have been pondering my obligation for Lent and what I want to abstain from during the Lenten season. Being a the headcase that I am, it's hard to eliminate some things because I don't want to throw a stick in the spokes of my life balance or lack thereof... but at the same time I want to acknowledge the sacrifices made for me...

So I've decided to give up soda and snacks. Not necessarily snacks like between meals - but snacks that are bad and don't do anything positive for my body. Like Oreos and chips and chocolate bars. I gave serious contemplation to giving up my Starbucks mochas but that is sometimes one of the few things that get me through a day and I am just not ready to take a hit there. Even for the good Lord.

I am trying to come back to my faith in God. I have always believed but I have not always felt it positively... esp the wretched year I was trying to conceive. I have a hard time with my control issues ANYWAY never mind letting God handle anything in my life. But now my children are growing and Liam is at the Age of Questions ("WHY? WHO? WHERE?"). We made the decision to raise them both Catholic til they are at an age where they are educated and can make the conscious decision on their own.

So anyways anyways anyways I want to be a good role model. Dan doesn't believe whole-heartedly in God - his scientific mind has broken it down and most likely he has enough things hurt him in the past and made it a hard thing to believe in so it falls on me at this time. So I'll be fasting on Wednesday and Good Friday and no meat then or Fridays during Lent.

I need some decent meat free meals... can only take so much pasta, eggs and cheese pizza. Not all together of course. HA!

Updated to add: Dan has decided to give up soda for Lent too. I am betting it's more for his diet than for Lent but he's trying!

3 comments:

WILLIAM said...

When you say Oreos? Your Kidding right?

Best of luck to you. DO something cool with the money you will save.

Susie said...

I KNOW William. They are staple in Life Enjoyment.. I will be forced to derive more pleasure with... well, that's private.

Carrie said...

eggplant parm? you eat fish/seafood, right? soups are good on fridays.. either a tomato bisque or artichoke or clam chowder?

what are those big assed mushrooms? shitake? you can marinate one in balsamic and grill it?

how about a salad made of spinach, candied nuts, apples and cranberries?

PB and J works for lunches... and have you ever tried a boca burger? morningstar farms makes a bacon cheese burger flavored meatless patty. not bad. not GREAT.. but crumbled up and disguised into a taco pie could eb a variation?